Thread: Enable Window Activate on Mouseover

Beans

Question Enable Window Activate on Mouseover

I just installed 12.04 and I can't find out how to re-enable the setting on previous versions that would activate a window when you moved the mouse over it. It's a little thing but it really bugs me.

Beans

Re: Enable Window Activate on Mouseover

ccsm > general options > focus and raise behaviour
    Unmark click to focus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That feature is in metacity which is still used, even with compiz running. Run the gconf-editer -- apps -- metacity -- general -- focus_mode. This is probably set to click. I recommend you set focus_mode to sloppy. Focus changes when the cursor enters a new window, you can move the cursor to the Desktop without changing focus.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fragos View Post
    That feature is in metacity which is still used, even with compiz running. Run the gconf-editer -- apps -- metacity -- general -- focus_mode. This is probably set to click. I recommend you set focus_mode to sloppy. Focus changes when the cursor enters a new window, you can move the cursor to the Desktop without changing focus.
    Same thing really.
    When you Unmark click to focus in ccsm
    it changes the gconf setting to sloppy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseEatsWorlds View Post
    I just installed 12.04 and I can't find out how to re-enable the setting on previous versions that would activate a window when you moved the mouse over it. It's a little thing but it really bugs me.
    But sloppy/mouse focus doesn't really work with Unity because you may select another window/app as cross over it to get to the global menu. I've preferred sloppy focus for many years but am reluctantly weaning myself off it now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    But sloppy/mouse focus doesn't really work with Unity because you may select another window/app as cross over it to get to the global menu. I've preferred sloppy focus for many years but am reluctantly weaning myself off it now.
    Yeah, I've never used it but can see where it wouldn't work
    with the global menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sloppy with the global menu isn't the best match but if you move the cursor through the desktop without touching another window to anywhere on the top panel Global menu will be what you want. One problem with focus by click is that if you open an application with a hot key, you still have to click that new window before you can do keyboard entry for it. Sloppy fixes that problem. IMHO global menu is a pain with a large screen and multiple windows open.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans

Thanks everyone! Got it all sorted out. I didn't have compiz installed. The global menu thing rarely effects me because if I need the menu for something I usually have it set to full screen.