Thread: Wayland or Xorg with Steam in 24.04?

Beans

Wayland or Xorg with Steam in 24.04?

Curious which I should be using with Steam. Wayland is new to me and Steam as well (at least on Linux anyway). Lots of reddit comments say used Xorg, but noticed I couldnt get Witcher 3 to run when using Xorg, but plays great when using Wayland. So yea, looking for some advice.

BTW, video card is an AMD RX 6800XT

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Wayland or Xorg with Steam in 24.04?

I have a really oddball custom setup in which Steam runs within a container. I am unable to get it to run in Wayland, but it runs okay in Xorg. In fact, none of my graphical apps will run within a container under 24.04 Wayland. I have to use Xorg.

Hopefully, this gets solved soon because I've moved on from Xorg for a couple of years now. And yes, my containerized graphical apps run fine is 22.04, so it's definitely something that happened in 24.04. Actually, it started happening in 23.10, but I expect wonkiness from standard releases whereas I expect better usability from LTS releases.

Short answer is: use what works. Wayland is nice because it is more secure and is actively being worked on and maintained. Xorg's days are numbered.

This puts me in more of a pickle than you since I'm the one who must run an aging soon‑to‑be‑obsolete platform to keep things working. If Wayland works for you, then you are current and should be happy.