Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't print to Canon ip2702

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can't print to Canon ip2702

I got a free Canon printer when I bought my new monitor. Unfortunately, I have not been able to print to it. The driver (PostScript Printer Definition, PPD, driver) installs and indicates no errors. The printing function indicates no errors; it actually shows that the print job is in progress and completes. The printer shows no errors (no blinking lights, etc. The power LED just stays solid green). But nothing gets printed. I've tried two different USB cables on two different Ubuntu 10.04 machines. I would really like to be able to print from Ubuntu, because I would hate to have to reboot to Windows just to print a file (I am able to print from Windows using Canon's supplied drivers). Any advice/help/direction?

Additional details:
    Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit, 2.6.32-24-generic-pae kernel
    CUPS 1.4.3-1ubuntu1.2
    Last edited by tjktyler; August 20th, 2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Didn't know if printer would work on Windows; it does, so the printer is not the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't print to Canon ip2702

I too am having the same problem. There are DEB files on Canons website (inside of a rar) you can download. It only works for 32 bit, though. ive got a 64 bit system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by shirteesdotnet View Post
    I too am having the same problem. There are DEB files on Canons website (inside of a rar) you can download. It only works for 32 bit, though. ive got a 64 bit system
    Can you provide a link for that? I'm not able to find it.

Beans

This is how I got it working on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (64-bit):

1.) Download the linux printer drivers for the ip2700 series of Canon printers (I found them on the European site at this page: http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0038679.asp)
    2.) Extract the .tar file to get two more compressed files, extract the one with .deb in the name.
    3.) To get the driver working in a 64-bit system, edit the file install.sh at around line 1429 from C_FUNC_show_and_exec "sudo dpkg -iG $c_fpath_pkg_name" to C_FUNC_show_and_exec "sudo dpkg -iG --force-architecture $c_fpath_pkg_name"
    4.) Run install.sh to install the driver

It should install a new printer named ip2700, try printing a test page!

Beans

Thank you so much Scarvel! This was the last thing I needed to finish my fresh Mint 9 install!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scarvel8 View Post
    This is how I got it working on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (64-bit):

1.) Download the linux printer drivers for the ip2700 series of Canon printers (I found them on the European site at this page: http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0038679.asp)
    2.) Extract the .tar file to get two more compressed files, extract the one with .deb in the name.
    3.) To get the driver working in a 64-bit system, edit the file install.sh at around line 1429 from C_FUNC_show_and_exec "sudo dpkg -iG $c_fpath_pkg_name" to C_FUNC_show_and_exec "sudo dpkg -iG --force-architecture $c_fpath_pkg_name"
    4.) Run install.sh to install the driver

It should install a new printer named ip2700, try printing a test page!
    Can't think you enough mate. That worked very well.

Beans

I tried this fix but when I ran the install shell I got the following message:
    ==================================================

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Ver.3.30-1 for Linux
    Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2010
    All Rights Reserved.

==================================================
    An error occurred. The package management system cannot be identified.

A week later I figured out that I could run the install manually and that worked. After down loading, and extracting the the zip and tar you wind up with a directory called cnijfilter-ip2700series-3.30-1-i386-deb,
    within that directory there is a packages, directory goto the packages directory and run the following two commands:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-common_3.30-1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-ip2700series_3.30-1_i386.deb
    When they are installed goto system>administration>printing turn on and connect the printer and you will find it listed under available printers
    Last edited by Aswdriver; November 16th, 2010 at 12:55 AM.

Beans

Great fix! Thanks!

Beans

This worked for me as well. Thanks for the help!

Beans

For Linux RPM or DEB. canon printers drivers go to http://www.canon.com.my/ and click on "support & download".
    Ubuntu 10.10 & Mepis Linux 11: Gigabyte G41M-ES2L: 2Giga ram: Intel Pentium II 2.60 Ghz dual core: Wireless: wmp54g ver.4.1: Western digital 500 gb hdd sata. PRINTER: CANON PIXMA MP250.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast