Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is port 53/tcp open?

Beans

Why is port 53/tcp open?

After installing Ubuntu 12.04 yesterday and running an nmap scan I found that port 53/tcp is open: domain service. This was during a scan of the localhost. Another scan of my IP address is showing the same port and others open, but I am certain this second scan is showing my IP provider's end. So, why is port 53 open and how can I close it?

Beans

Re: Why is port 53/tcp open?

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated blood View Post
    After installing Ubuntu 12.04 yesterday and running an nmap scan I found that port 53/tcp is open: domain service. This was during a scan of the localhost. Another scan of my IP address is showing the same port and others open, but I am certain this second scan is showing my IP provider's end. So, why is port 53 open and how can I close it?
    it is for DNS you want it open if you want DNS to work

See this link Dangertux guide to firewall
    Last edited by haqking; April 28th, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Well that's great if port 53 is 'supposed' to be open. However, if this port needs to be open for internet use - Why has it never appeared in nmap scans on previous Ubuntu versions with fully functional internet access?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated blood View Post
    Well that's great if port 53 is 'supposed' to be open. However, if this port needs to be open for internet use - Why has it never appeared in nmap scans on previous Ubuntu versions with fully functional internet access?
    I've been wondering this myself too.

Beans

TCP port 53 is used for domain transfers; the only reason I can see it being open is if the OP is running a DNS server. DNS servers also listen on UDP port 53 to accept queries from client resolvers.

Port 53 was open on my 12.04 machine because I had an instance of bind9 running, and it was listening to that port. I probably installed it for testing purposes at some point or another. I stopped it (with 'sudo service bind9 stop') and confirmed I can still resolve names as I expected.

OP:
    Run the command "sudo netstat -plnt" to see a list of which programs are listening on which TCP ports. (Replace "t" with "u" in the options to view TCP ports or use -plntu to see both.) What program is bound to port 53?
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 28th, 2012 at 06:19 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    TCP port 53 is used for domain transfers; the only reason I can see it being open is if the OP is running a DNS server. DNS servers also listen on UDP port 53 to accept queries from client resolvers.

Port 53 was open on my 12.04 machine because I had an instance of bind9 running, and it was listening to that port. I probably installed it for testing purposes at some point or another. I stopped it (with 'sudo service bind9 stop') and confirmed I can still resolve names as I expected.

OP:
    Run the command "sudo netstat -plnt" to see a list of which programs are listening on which TCP ports. (Replace "t" with "u" in the options to view TCP ports or use -plntu to see both.) What program is bound to port 53?
    I have a fresh install of 12.04.

Does this look normal:

Code:
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:139             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      938/smbd        
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1803/dnsmasq    
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:631           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1077/cupsd      
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:445             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      938/smbd        
    tcp6       0      0 :::139                  :::*                    LISTEN      938/smbd        
    tcp6       0      0 ::1:631                 :::*                    LISTEN      1077/cupsd      
    tcp6       0      0 :::445                  :::*                    LISTEN      938/smbd
    Do you have any recommendations for me to block anything?

Beans

Code:
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1803/dnsmasq
    OK, that's what I thought might be happening.

12.04 now runs dnsmasq, a compact DNS server. The reasoning for this, according to the developers, is to handle situations where your machine has multiple network interfaces with different DNS servers. This can pose problems for people using virtual private networks (VPNs) and in other so-called "multi-homed" contexts. (Personally, I think this approach is overkill since the proportion of users facing this problem is pretty small.)

So starting with 12.04 every Ubuntu machine will be running a local DNS server by default. However it should only be listening to port 53 on the localhost (127.0.0.1) interface as shown in the netstat results you posted. This doesn't pose a security threat since the localhost interface isn't visible from outside your machine. If you scan your machine from another machine on the network with a tool like nmap, you should not see an open port 53.

So, no, this isn't a security problem, but I'm sure it's going to confuse some people for a while.

(The decision to use resolvconf to rewrite /etc/resolv.conf, which is also discussed in Graber's post, has some significant "fallout" as well, but not relevant to the issue here.)

These are fairly major changes in the way Ubuntu handles name resolution, ones that make 12.04 different from all previous releases and from other Linux distributions. I've specifically disabled all of this stuff on my machine because I use my own custom resolv.conf file and my own local nameservers to resolve names. For people like me these changes created problems where none existed before.

The claim in Dangertux's firewalling howto that haqking linked to is definitely wrong. As caffeinated blood rightly observed, machines need not have either TCP or UDP port 53 open to resolve names successfully.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 28th, 2012 at 07:37 AM.

Beans

yeah sorry was confused here.

I was assuming it was seen as you were running a DNS service, as the only time a port is "open" is when a service is listening on it so i assumed you had DNS and therefore would require it.

I wasnt aware 12.04 had a DNS listening service running by default.

Peace
    Last edited by haqking; April 28th, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Umm yes you do need it open outbound but not inbound. Feel free to bang your head against a wall with that though...
    Last edited by Dangertux; April 28th, 2012 at 06:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

large results over UDP, exceeding 512 bytes, can cause the results to be truncated or for the query to fail all together. The first time I came across this was on one my firewalls many years ago - with cnn and google - So, TCP is used in these cases.

But there is no need to open 53/TCP INPUT - as it is covered by the normal "established/connected" behaviour of a masquerade for outgoing connections.
    Last edited by iponeverything; April 28th, 2012 at 05:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast